Landscapes of the mind, abstracted images of the natural world, paintings in oils and mixed media

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

More Family Paintings



I finished painting these two paintings almost simultaneously. I knew that the portrait of the "Flapper" was from a photo of my husband's grandmother. I didn't realize that the other photo I used was of the same grandmother as a little girl. I loved the way she was wearing the bow and the jewelry, very seriously involved in her presentation. I titled this "Bows and Beads". I love doing the paintings from old photos. Some are very blurry or faded and all are sepia or black and white. I have not had any hand colored photos, so I get to imagine the colors that would have been worn or in the background. I try and understand the period as well as the people involved and try to find a way to allow their spirits to flow through the art.

No comments:

Sample Art

A Meditation Through the Wisdom Mandala

Mandala of the Divine Feminine